This is a summary of the following youtube video
by Dandapani : Unlocking the secrets of Meditation
- Meditation is not a sweet sauce you add to your life to make it taste good.
- Having a carrot in the morning, and the hamburgers, and beers through out the day is not a "Healthy" diet. Similarly, meditation in the morning is not enough (?)
- First fix your lifestyle that supports meditation
- What is meditation :
- Prolonged state of concentration
- Meditation is working with the energy inside of you
- We can't clear your mind, but we could focus the mind.
- Any meditation practice should have a process and a goal
- Meditate on same thing for (at least 5 days a week) before you switch, else you'll never make progress.
- To meditate, you need to be able to concentrate.
- How to concentrate :
- Do one thing for a prolonged time
- We can not multi-task
- Meditation takes courage (to face "ugly" self)
- When we start meditating, we face our "ugly" subconscious
- we never spent time "cleaning" up the subconscious
- Takes self-acceptance
- Accept that who you are today took years, so it will take some years to "un-create"
- Just like diet, meditation will take long time before we see results.
- Start with "1 minute a day" (Cause it is sustainable)
- Create a daily ritual
- First thing in the morning
- Don't interact with anyone (may be shower, coffee/water is fine)
- Meeting with your energy
- Meetings need time and location
- Sit with spine straight (preferably without back support)
- Left hand below, right hand on top, thumbs touching each other.
- If/when you are not concentrating, the tips of thumbs are no longer touching and spine is no longer straight.